Under direct supervision and in accordance with established policies and procedures, the Medical Assistant will assist with planning, implementing and evaluating patient care at the CalArts Student Health Center.
- Answers phones, responds to inquiries and triages calls to appropriate personnel.
- Greets registered patients at time of visit and triages patients through the patient flow process. Checks schedules and accompanies patients to exam/procedure room. Assists patients as needed with walking, transfers, dressing and preparing for exam.
- Responsible for maintaining a sterile environment. Ensures standard infection control precautions are observed.
- Prepares exam rooms prior to patient visit. Cleans rooms and instruments and re-stocks supplies between patients.
- Fulfills patient care responsibilities which may include, taking vital signs, updating patient history, collecting blood, urine and stool specimens, point of care testing and assisting providers/nurses in the exam room. Inputs patient data into the practice management system.
- Fulfills clerical responsibilities which may include, sending/receiving/scanning medical records, obtaining diagnostic reports, hospital notes & referral information, completing forms/requisitions, managing the charting process & sending specimens to labs.
- Monitors and ensures clinical equipment is functioning properly. Escalates issues to supervisor.
- Assist with EHR (Medicat) implementation.
- Regularly checks dated materials and medications for expiration date and discards expired items.
- High School Diploma
- Certified Medical Assistant (CMA)
- Approximately 1 year of related experience, preferably in relevant specialty area.
- Completion of a medical assistant training course that includes phlebotomy is highly desired.
- Candidates with extensive medical assistant work experience, along with phlebotomy certification may be considered.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrated strong communication and interpersonal skills; demonstrated ability to interact with multiple constituencies and exercise "people skills".
- Demonstrates ability to exercise standards of professionalism, including appearance, presentation and demeanor.
- Experience with Electronic Health Records